I am not quitting NRM - Mbabazi

Kampala. Former prime minister Amama Mbabazi has vowed not to leave the NRM despite his fall out with President Museveni and the party hierarchy over his perceived presidential ambitions in 2016.
“I have been provoked to say this; I am in the NRM and I have absolutely no intention of leaving it because I started it. It is me who started it, together with my colleagues. Why should I leave it? I am NRM who is a Movementist and one who believes in the unity of all Ugandans without exceptions,” Mr Mbabazi responded to questions from Makerere University students who asked him to comment on reports that he intended to quit the NRM.
Mr Mbabazi was speaking at Makerere University during the official handover ceremony of the university’s outgoing guild administration to the new one on Friday.
The students also pressed him to say when he will declare his 2016 presidential candidature.
Typical of Mr Mbabazi, he was cagey and reiterated they will know “his decision in the near future.”
Not silent for nothing
“I have said before that the measure of civilisation of any given society is how the rule of law applies to them. People think I have been silent. I was not so silent but I was not talking. When I begin to talk, I will use the energy I have preserved in the many months,” Mr Mbabazi told the students who kept chanting: “I have decided to follow Mbabazi, no turning back, no turning back.”
He told them to participate in the 2016 general elections and “use their power” to determine the country’s political direction.
“Intelligence is knowing the right answer, wisdom is knowing when to say it. I will be again in the near future talking about your role and the power you have whether you will use it to build or destroy and that is possible because you constitute the greatest majority, ” he said.
“Don’t just talk about your numbers, empower yourselves because decisions to determine the destiny of this nation are in the ballot box, so are you registered? The deadline is April 30, please don’t miss it. Your vote is the most important thing you can do. To have it and cast it correctly in order to determine the correct destiny of our country,” Mr Mbabazi added.
He said the development of Uganda depended on the aggregate progress of all Ugandans and urged the youth not to let the responsibility fall in anyone’s hands.
“Whereas I look back with great admiration at our recent history and achievements, our job is to transform Uganda to a better place we all can live in. I think this is the mission history has imposed on you the young people,” Mr Mbabazi said.
The Citizens’ Coalition for Electoral Democracy in Uganda (CCEDU), who are running a campaign dubbed “Votability” aimed at getting all eligible Ugandans to vote, presented Mr Mbabazi with T-shirts and wristbands carrying their message.
Mr Charles Mwangushya Mpagi, the CCEDU communications manager, said the youth are an important section of the population to target given that many will be voting for the first time in 2016

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post